Lettuce is a vegetable grown all over the world, which has conquered its guaranteed place in the most varied salads and recipes. Such popularity has not inhibited the fact that it is often called “dull” or “expendable”. What happens is that, despite being well known, most people who consume it are not aware of the properties and benefits of this vegetable. Lettuce should not be treated as an ornament on a salad, it is more than that. In fact, even in teas it can be used!
Lettuce Properties and Benefits
- It is rich in vitamins A, C, E and K.
- It has no fat – so it should be present in every diet!
- It has the minerals: zinc, potassium, iron and magnesium in its composition.
- It’s not very caloric (in fact, almost nothing!): 50 grams of lettuce has less than 10 calories.
- It has less than 2 grams of carbohydrates.
- Helps improve eyesight.
- Helps fight free radicals.
- Helps prevent/protect against cancer.
- It acts in the healing process .
- It directly helps in the formation of blood cells.
- Prevents cases of anemia.
- It works by helping to balance sodium, potassium and calcium in the body.
- It contributes a lot to the metabolism of proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
- Helps in the proper functioning of the musculature.
- It has a lot of fiber and water (so it helps against constipation).
- Promotes the feeling of fullness – making you eat less.
- Contributes to a healthier bowel.
- It is rich in beta-carotene, pectin and lactucin.
- Strengthens the airways.
These are just some of the advantages of eating lettuce.
First, choose pesticide free lettuce. Leaves should be firm, shiny and free of dark spots. Do not forget to wash well under running water. These tips are for any use of lettuce.
The lettuce tea preserves all the benefits already listed above and is a good alternative for those who want change in the consumption of this vegetable.
To reduce liver fat: Infuse 80g of lettuce in a liter of water. Drink 2-3 cups of tea a day.
For treatment of hypertension : Prepare tea by infusion and drink up to 2 cups a day.
For insomnia sufferers : Place a fresh lettuce leaf and some apple peel in a cup of (boiling) water and leave for a few minutes, until it becomes warm. Sweeten to taste and drink a cup before bedtime.