Peruvian maca, scientific name Lepidium meyenii , is a tuber also known as Andean maca, originating from the Andean region of Peru. With a shape similar to radish, with a yellowish beige color and a very mild taste, this plant has a high content of fiber, minerals (especially iron, calcium and zinc) and vitamins A, vitamins of the complex B, C, D and E. Next, look at the properties and benefits provided by Peruvian maca tea.
Properties and Benefits of Peruvian Maca Tea
- Because it contains a high fiber content and increases the feeling of satiety, Peruvian maca reduces appetite and, consequently, helps in the weight loss process;
- Helps reduce glucose absorption, preventing diabetes;
- Because it contains omega 3 in its composition, this plant prevents cardiovascular diseases, helps control cholesterol and hypertension;
- Physical and mental energetic;
- Helps reduce anxiety and stress levels;
- Due to its aphrodisiac effect, Peruvian maca improves libido;
- Because it is rich in iron, the tubercle helps to prevent anemia;
- Acts as an invigorating tonic and boosts immunity;
- It helps prevent osteoporosis as it is rich in calcium (Ada 100g of Peruvian maca offers 150mg of calcium);
- According to a study carried out in 2002, this plant has a high antioxidant action, being able to neutralize free radicals;
- It provides relief from some menopause symptoms such as hot flashes.
Where to find and how to consume?
Peruvian maca can be consumed in its powdered or capsule version. In the capsule version, the plant can be manipulated in pharmacies; its dehydrated version can be found in health food stores.
Peruvian maca tea
To prepare Peruvian maca tea, just add a teaspoon of maca powder to a glass of water and dissolve the product. The indication for consumption is to take the mixture 3 times a day.
Another suggestion for use is to add two tablespoons of the flour produced with the tuber in yogurt, juices, shakes, in the morning (or afternoon) snack and in fruits. The recommended daily amount is 1 to 2 tablespoons (dehydrated, powdered version) and 500mg per day (capsule version). Before starting to use the product, remember that the ideal is to consult a specialist.