Have you ever heard of Zedoária ? The name may seem a little unusual, but it’s already a little familiar to Brazilians. It is a medicinal plant native to East India, believed to have been brought to Brazil during the 16th century by settlers, and is now widely cultivated in Brazilian soil. This plant, which prefers a temperate and humid climate, has one of its parts (the rhizome, more specifically) used for the preparation of teas . But zedoaria is not a common plant, its tea has many properties and benefits that can help you with some ailments and discomforts.
Some properties of this plant are: antiseptic, antifungal, aromatic, carminative, digestive, stimulant, stomachic, hepatoprotective, renal, antiasthmatic, febrifuge, vermifuge, antirheumatic, antidyspeptic, emmenagogue, restorative, antiflatulent, choleretic, hypocholesterolemic, antioxidative hepatotoxic.
Indications and benefits
- Relieve symptoms of bronchitis, cold, flu, asthma and cough.
- Its anti-flatulent properties help those who suffer from gas.
- Kidney stones, gastric and duodenal ulcers, hepatitis and gastritis are alleviated if it is taken as a treatment, or if its symptoms are relieved.
- During serious chemotherapy or radiation therapy, zedoaria tea increases their effectiveness.
- Tea is also good for: Urinary disorders, gout, menstrual or gastrointestinal disorders, problems with cholesterol, gallstones, alveolar pyorrhea, nausea and cramps.
- It increases the production of biliary secretion.
- It stops the production of the TXA2 element, which is mainly responsible for hyperemia in the gums.
- Fights bad breath.
- It helps those who have insomnia.
- It is a cholagogue and a blood purifier.
As for its contraindications , pregnant women should not take this tea during the first three months of pregnancy, and should avoid taking the tea in an external environment with sun exposure, as the rhizome is photosensitive.
How to prepare the tea
Use two tablespoons of zedoaria for each liter of mineral water. Let it cook for about 10 minutes, counting from the moment when boiling starts. After 10 minutes, remove from heat and leave to stand, tightly covered, for another 10 minutes. Strain and drink 1-2 cups a day.