Hops ( Humulus lupulus ), also known as clutches, northern vines and crowfoot, is a medicinal plant that, in addition to being widely used in the preparation of beer (along with malt, barley and yeast ), can also be used to treat various health problems. See below the properties and benefits provided by hop tea.
The properties of hops
Hops have anaphrodisiac, anodyne, antibacterial, antiseptic, diuretic, febrifuge, phytoestrogen, emmenagogue, galactagogue, hypnotic, laxative, calming, muscle relaxant, soporific, bitter tonic, antispasmodic and sleeping pills.
Benefits and indications for use
- Helps in the treatment of agitation, anxiety, tachycardia and sleep disturbances;
- It acts as an antispasmodic in cases of menstrual cramps;
- Relieves headaches, teeth, stomach, ear and other common pains;
- Helps fight diarrhea and coughs caused by the nerves;
- It alleviates excessive sexual desire, especially in men;
- Helps in the elimination of toxins from the body;
- The substance humulone, present in the plant, has antibacterial properties;
- It is also traditionally used to treat various other cases, such as: anorexia, dandruff, cysts, dysentery, dysmenorrhea, Crohn’s disease, rash, wounds, intestinal gas (flatulence), hysteria, blood impurities, neuralgia, indigestion, restlessness, intestinal irritation , tumors, tuberculosis and leprosy.
how to use hops
- To aid sleep, hops can be placed in sachets inside the pillow;
- In the form of poultices, hops are used in folk medicine to treat cysts, skin rashes, wounds, headaches, toothaches, earaches and tumors;
- It is added to ointments (it works best when mixed with eucalyptus and mint) to rub the chest area, in order to quiet the cough;
- It is used as a hair rinse to treat dandruff;
- In lotions to soften the skin;
- It is used as a bath herb to provide relaxation.
the hop tea
To prepare hop tea, simply add a teaspoon of hops to a cup of boiling water and let it rest for about 10 minutes. After this period, just strain and take it before bed.
Side effects and contraindications
When consumed in excess, hops cause side effects such as drowsiness and decreased libido. Hops is contraindicated for pregnant women, nursing mothers and patients with diabetes.