Hives are a type of allergic reaction that can affect the skin or the inner surface of some organs. It is a potentiated defense reaction in the body against some external agent. The body produces histamine when it comes into contact with a certain element, such as dust, medicines, food, among other things, and with it, uncomfortable reactions in the skin arise. With a reddish color and very itchy, urticaria can be easily reversed and diagnosed by a specialist
Skin lesions and redness with a lighter center are the main characteristics of urticaria, which can also be accompanied by difficulty breathing. When it’s chronic, urticaria is much milder causing small lesions that normally don’t spread very far across the skin. Acute, however, can cause larger injuries that disappear and come back, which can last for months.
How to treat?
There are some natural treatments that can be used to relieve itchiness and deflate lesions. Among them are those selected below:
- Pour 200g of oatmeal into a tub of warm water, and add 10 drops of lavender essential oil. Immerse yourself in this bath for a period of approximately 20 minutes to alleviate the itching.
- With two scoops of cosmetic clay, 30 mg of aloe vera gel – aloe vera – and two drops of mint essential oil, make a homogeneous mixture. Then apply to the skin and leave for a period of approximately 20 minutes. Rinse and dry afterwards, but do not rub.
- Use two teaspoons of powdered goldenseal and two teaspoons of honey. Mix the two ingredients well and then apply over the affected area. Protect the application with gauze. Change twice a day and always repeat the procedure until you notice that the hives have disappeared.
There are also other recommendations such as:
- Take more baths a day, always with warm water and neutral soaps. Do not rub the towel over your body.
- Practice physical activities that give you pleasure, as stress can be a trigger for this problem.
- Make cold compresses of milk or water to soothe the itching.
Chamomile tea for urticaria
You can also use a tea to apply to the skin to treat and soothe itching. Chamomile tea can be found in the form of an herb or a sachet, and both forms are effective. Prepare the tea normally, as if you were going to consume it, just not adding sugar, sweetener or honey. Then strain and let it cool. When cool, moisten fabrics with the tea and gently apply to your skin, leaving the compresses cool for approximately 20 minutes.