Orange is one of the favorite fruits of Brazilians, full of vitamin C, but also calcium, beta-carotene and potassium. It is very common to eat an orange and throw its skin away, but this skin that we discard is very rich in medicinal properties. Thus, taking advantage of the orange peel instead of discarding it is a great option to take advantage of several benefits that it can bring.
Benefits and properties of orange peel
- It helps in the digestion process as it is composed of a large amount of phytonutrients and flavonoids (which have an anti-inflammatory effect), in addition to alleviating symptoms of heartburn, flatulence, diarrhea, among others.
- It strengthens the immune system as it is rich in vitamins A and C, both of which are extremely antioxidant.
- It helps in lowering cholesterol levels, as it contains substances such as hesperidin, pectin and polymethoxylated flavones.
- It protects the skin from ultraviolet rays, due to the presence of d- limonene , a substance that works as a very effective natural sunscreen.
Studies carried out in France with orange peel revealed a high level of concentration of polyphenols, an antioxidant of great importance that brings among its benefits the reduction of stress . In this research, twenty considerably stressed people who took five hundred milliliters of Serenzo (a substance manipulated from the sweet orange peel) were used.
In the experience, three hours after ingesting the substance, the patients answered some questions, where they said they were more willing to do physical activity spontaneously, in addition to feeling less signs of pain and less nervous (stress was reduced by 67% and pain decreased by 50%).
Scientists who carried out such research also claimed that in addition to the result described, people who participated in the experiment had their sense of curiosity increased by 144%. Thus, these nutrients present in the orange peel help to combat signs of depression and is even recommended for people who are overweight and who feel a craving for food.
This substance is given in pill form, which must be taken at a certain time of day or in times of nervousness. Serenzo, however, is only found in compounding pharmacies, where it can only be obtained from medical prescriptions.
orange peel tea
Want to get all the benefits described above? Then make tea from orange peels . It’s very easy and fast!
– 6 oranges
– 2 liters of water
Way of doing:
- Peel the oranges and reserve the peels;
- Put the water together with the orange peels to boil;
- Let it boil for about 30 minutes;
- Strain the tea and it will be ready for consumption.